Skip to main content

Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center

There are essentially two types of name issues; the use of a “Preferred Name” and an “Official Name Change.” Everything seems to work pretty well for a student who requests an Official Name Change.  Their new name appears to flow through the University systems well, although they may have to ask some departments to manually change their names in some systems, but there should be no resistance to this request because they have officially changed their name.  They do, however, have to request that their NID be changed for changes to their e-mail address to reflect their new name. An official name change is done through Payroll Services.

To Change Network ID and WSU E-mail

Students must contact Information Technology Services and request a change of their Network ID (NID) and e-mail address.  The request can be submitted to the ITS Help Desk by phone at 335-HELP (4357). 

In the Blackboard System

A student can change their name in myWSU under "Main Menu" --> "WSU" --> "Update Nickname"

In Active Directory

A student can change their name in myWSU under "Main Menu" --> "WSU" --> "Update Nickname"

For the CougarCard System

We are working on developing a proposal for a high level policy change (hopefully to be done in Spring 2018).

For the Odyssey Housing Management System

We’ve spoken with the Directors of both Housing and Residence Life and they are supportive of implementing Preferred (Nicknames) in the Housing Management System for hall rosters.  I think the request process would be the same as for the CougarCard System.  However, this, as I understand it, will not be a trivial system change.  Student requests to Residence Life would help drive this change.