Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center

Unfortunately, the name and gender marker change process at WSU is a complicated and difficult one.  Please consult our online resource for detailed instructions at  For instructions on how to change your name and gender marker externally to WSU, visit  This website details the name/gender marker change process through the county courthouse, the Department of Licensing, your birth certificate, and the Social Security Administration Office.  For the time being, you could choose to update your “nickname” in WSU systems as your chosen name; staff, faculty, and administrators are expected to utilize nicknames over official names.