Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center

  • How do I change my name with the University?

    There are essentially two types of name issues; the use of a “Preferred Name” and an “Official Name Change.” Everything seems to work pretty well for a student who requests an Official Name Change. Their new name appears to flow through the University systems well, although they may have to ask some departments to manually change their names in some systems, but there should be no resistance to this request because they have officially changed their name. They do, however, have to request that their Network ID (NID) be changed for changes to their e-mail address to reflect their new name.
    To their Change Network ID and WSU E-mail Address students must contact Information Technology Services and request a change of their Network ID (NID) and e-mail address. This will most probably only be done for students who have changed their Official WSU Name. The request can be submitted to the ITS Help Desk by phone at 335-HELP (4257) or via a web form at, although the web form doesn’t look too promising for this use. The request can also be submitted to Services and Accounts staff at Information Technology Services at 335-3377.
    For the WSU student e-mail system, students should be able to log into their accounts and update their first name and their display name in the preferences/Account Settings menu item. There were some mixed results among the testers. This step would be unnecessary, if the student was able to change their NID.
    In the Blackboard Learning Management System, we had testers change their first names and saw that their new first name appeared in the class lists. A student would need to work with the Registrar’s office or with me in GIESORC to do this unofficial name change.
    In Active Directory, it should be possible for a student to change their First Name in the Display Name at This is only helpful for those student employees who have a Central Exchange e-mail account. The central Connect! Exchange service will list your name in the address lists with the new First Name you submit through this web page. You cannot change your last name (without submitting an official name change request with the appropriate administrative offices) but you can specify how you want the first part of your name to appear. Student employees or GAs may want to test this service.
    For the CougarCard System, we will need to develop a request mechanism and standard for how Preferred Names will appear on CougarCards, but this is definitely achievable. We are working on developing a proposal for a high level policy change.
    For the Odyssey Housing Management System, we’ve spoken with the Directors of both Housing and Residence Life and they are supportive of implementing Preferred (Nicknames) in the Housing Management System for hall rosters. The request process would be the same as for the CougarCard System. However it will not be a trivial system change. Student requests to Residence Life would help drive this change.

  • When does the student group meet?

    The student group meets every Tuesday at 6pm in CUB 204.
    For more information e-mail

  • Do you have to identify as queer to use the GIESORC?

    No. The Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center is a space that is available to all university students no matter what your identity.

  • Does the GIESORC offer any scholarships?

    Yes, GIESORC offers the annual Dlugosh-McKee Scholarship. This scholarship recognizes one student each year for their contributions to GIESORC and the LGBTQ community. Applications are available each December. Please contact Matthew Jeffries for more information at or 509-335-8841.

    We also have a small emergency scholarship to help students with small, immediate needs. For example, fees for graduate school applications, cap and gown rental, and emergency school supplies.

  • Are there non-discrimination policies at WSU?

    Washington State University (WSU) is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal opportunity in education, employment, membership and contracts without regard to race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, and/or status as a veteran. WSU is committed to creating and maintaining environments in which students, faculty, staff and visitors can work, study and recreate free from all forms of prohibited discrimination and discriminatory harassment. If you have experienced an act of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment, please contact WSU Office for Equal Opportunity via phone at 509-335-8288, via e-mail at or file a complaint online at

  • What is the * after trans?

    The * after the word trans has become an umbrella term that refers to all of the identities within the gender spectrum. The asterisk makes a special note to include all non-cisgender gender identities.