The Gender Identity, Expression, and Sexual Orientation Resource Center (GIESORC) leads Washington State University’s ongoing work towards an inclusive campus culture for LGBTQA students, faculty, and staff in all our locations.
GIESORC promotes education, empowerment, and engagement for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning, and ally (LGBTQA) constituents across the Washington State University system.
GIESORC advances diversity, integrity, and transparency at WSU by:
- Developing and sustaining support for LGBTQA issues by the administration on all WSU campuses
- Advocating for the development of University policies and the dedication of resources to serving LGBTQA employees and students
- Promoting education and action on bullying, harassment, and bias against LGBTQA individuals at all WSU locations
Education | Empowerment | Engagement
We see these values as a developmental process, in which education supports individual and group empowerment, which expresses itself in active engagement in the larger community.
GIESORC offers education by:
- Providing workshops
- Inviting speakers
- Promoting media and awareness campaigns
- Developing and administering virtual and physical resources
GIESORC facilitates empowerment by:
- Fostering student development and self-advocacy
- Providing opportunities to work for social justice
- Supporting the coming out process
- Offering tools and resources to combat bias
GIESORC cultivates engagement by:
- Promoting ally development through regular Ally trainings
- Supporting coalition building within the Washington State University system and in surrounding communities
- Connecting students, faculty, and staff with real opportunities to make a difference